[tz] Norfolk Island, Daylight Saving Time (DST) 6/10/19-05/04/20 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Aug 15 01:48:45 UTC 2019

    Date:        Wed, 14 Aug 2019 17:26:45 -0700
    From:        Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu>

  | It would be helpful if the Australians would add a phrase or two to
  | disambiguate this, the next time they change their DST laws.

The Victorian Summer Time Act (1972) includes (section 3, paragraph 2)...

   (2)	In this section the expression " the hour of two o'clock
	in the morning" means that hour as determined by standard
	time.

[this section (in paragraph (1) is where the summer time rule is
set out ... the one in the act has since been amended, different
times of the year, but the time of day was not altered.]

I doubt any more disambiguation is needed.   I haven't gone hunting in
all of the other states' legislation, nor whatever applies to ACT and NT
(and the various othe routlying territories, even if I could work out
who or what was responsible in each case) but I would suspect that many
of them contain similar wording.

In any case, there is no question but that when summer time ends, the
clocks move backwards from 02:59.999999999 (summer time) to 02:00.000000
(standard time) in all Australian jurisdictions - not because anything
forces that to be so (there's no overriding power anywhere here) but just
because everyone cooperated and made it be that way.

Further, given:

	(2)  Unless there is a contrary intention, the time must be
	     determined using:
		(a)  standard time; or
		(b)  for a time within a daylight saving period?daylight
                     saving time.

that is also clear - the boundaries of summer time (or "daylight saving time"
for some weird reason in Norfolk) are not "within" a daylight saving period,
they are the edges of it, hence (2)(b) does not apply, which means
that (2)(a) is what is left, and so standard time is used to interpret those
boundary times.

kre