[tz] leap second theory

Bradley White bww at acm.org
Sat Aug 17 23:55:21 UTC 2019

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 4:45 PM Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> +However, the leap second support of this package is rarely used directly
> +because POSIX requires leap seconds to be ignored

For what it's worth, I never like the term "ignored" in this context.  For
example, I might claim that POSIX requires leap seconds to be taken into
account (in order to remove them from the "seconds-since-the-epoch" count),
and that it is the "right" clock that ignores them.  Conversely, others
might say leap seconds are ignored in the POSIX absolute<->civil
conversions, and taken into account in the "right" conversions.  So,
"ignored" doesn't really apply to either system ... they both deal with
leap seconds in some fashion.