[tz] (topic drift) leap second theory

Howard Hinnant howard.hinnant at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 17:14:48 UTC 2019

On Aug 18, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Paul Gilmartin via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Steve Summit wrote:
>> I was trying to point someone to a reference describing how
>> the "right" zones can be used to enable a system to handle
>> leap seconds more correctly, ...
>
> Humpf!  I notice the current MacOS Mojave doesn't install the
> "right" subtree.  I paxed it in from my desktop Linux guest
> and it seems to work, so the code is there but the data are
> lacking.

The macOS Mojave clocks don’t report UTC, they report Unix Time (don’t count leap seconds).  So it would be incorrect for them to use the “right” subtree.

That being said, I am working with them in the hopes of getting them to publis the IANA leapseconds information in _some_ form (the “right” subtree being one of those possible forms, the leapseconds source file being another).

Howard