[tz] isdst bug Europe/Dublin (tzdb-2019c)

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Sun Dec 15 05:16:46 UTC 2019

    Date:        Sat, 14 Dec 2019 19:56:42 -0500
    From:        scs at eskimo.com (Steve Summit)

  | [But perhaps what you're saying is that redefining time_t as UT1
  | is part of "What we really need to do".]

First, part ofmy belief is that nothing that POSIX (or the C std)
has related to time is even close to adequate.

For time_t what I mean is that it should not survive as it is, we need
(just for "seconds" time counters) two entirely different things,  which
keep track of the different ways we count time, differently.  Currently
this is fudged with how one obtains the time_t (CLOCK_MONOTONIC, CLOCK_REALTIME
etc) but because they all produce the same type (time_t) they can all
be processed the same way - so a CLOCK_MONOTONIC result can be handed to
localtime() which makes no rational sense at all.

kre