[tz] Today's CalConnect event

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 5 19:33:29 UTC 2019

On 2/5/19 8:55 AM, Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:
> One wonders why ISO is doing this when an existing body does the work already, and has done so effectively for decades.  I wonder if the claim is based on reality; has anyone heard of this supposed effort before?  If yes, who is doing it and are they communicating with the TZ body?

I hadn't heard of the ISO time zone registry effort until today's email
from Arthur. (Unfortunately I did not have the time to listen in on the
CalConnect meeting myself.) As the ISO hasn't published anything and
hasn't contacted us, I imagine that not much work has been done there yet.

This reminds me of a similar effort years ago under the aegis of the
IETF. In 2005, Doug Royer drafted a Time Zone Registry spec
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-royer-timezone-registry-03> that
would have registered time zone names with IANA (not meanings; just
names). Royer contacted the tz list about this and there was some
discussion here in February 2005; the proposal expired in 2006.

In practice people nowadays seem to prefer using tzdb names directly to
using a separate registry; see, for example, "Calendaring Extensions to
WebDAV (CalDAV): Time Zones by Reference", Internet RFC 7809 (2016). The
main exceptions I know of are HP-UX and Microsoft Windows, which both
have their own registries that predate the popular usage of tzdb (though
Microsoft Windows now also supports tzdb to some extent).

> It's not clear why ISO would be any more successful at cajoling country governments into early notice than the existing structure.

Yes, it's unlikely that (for example) the government of São Tomé and
Príncipe would notify the ISO more reliably than they notify us.