[tz] [PROPOSED] Internet RFC 8536 has been published

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 14 03:00:39 UTC 2019

On Feb 13, 2019, at 6:25 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 2/13/19 6:18 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
>> .UR doesn't seem to do anything with a -man man page on my machine (running macOS High Sierra - 4.4-Lite-flavored, with groff and mdoc); what UN*Xes have man page macros that define it, and do we need to define it ourselves if it's not defined?
>
> .UR is in Fedora, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD (these are all I checked).

mandoc "is both an OpenBSD and a BSD.lv project", so I think it's what OpenBSD uses to format its man pages, and FreeBSD 12 has mandoc as well - I suspect it's also using it, so that may be where they picked up .UR from.  DragonFly BSD may have picked it up from FreeBSD; I don't know what NetBSD does.

At least one -man macro collection used on Linux appear to have .URL, and .UR might be treated as an alias for it.

> Maybe macOS will catch up some day.

I was testing it wrong; it seems to work in the updated man page.

I can't speak for Solaris, but I don't know how up-to-date they are with the tzdb or the tzcode - I have the impression that they may not have started using the new name convention yet.

AIX 6.1 and later appear to use the tzdb:

	https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_71/com.ibm.aix.osdevice/olson_time_zone.htm

but their man pages are different enough that, if they had a tzfile man page, they'd probably have to munge the heck out of it anyway - and they don't appear to have a tzfile man page as of AIX 7.2.

HP might still be using their own time zone database in HP-UX, in which case it's less relevant whether the man page formats correctly on HP-UX.