[tz] Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam

Mon Feb 18 05:30:44 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-17 21:22, KP wrote:
> Vào 1:02, Th 2, 18 thg 2, 2019 KP đã viết:
>> These are the reasons that I think are reasonable
>> - After merging with Ha Tay, Hanoi (capital) is the largest province in
Vietnam
>> - +7:00 (North Vietnam and All Vietnam since 1975) timezone has been the
>> longest unified timezone ever, compared to Asia/Saigon, Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh
>> (modified many times)
>> I would like to suggest adding a timezone for Hanoi or changing the name
>> from Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh to Asia/Hanoi as the official timezone for Vietnam.
>> Having the same article should be considered
>> https://tz.iana.narkive.com/foJrvdQn/tz-patch-tzdata-asia-ha-noi-add-new-timezone

> Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are two separate big economic regions of Vietnam,
> just like Nick Phake said, creating two separate time zone names for the two
> regions is reasonable. You have also said that using Shanghai's time zone
> represents China, but then still creates timezones for Beijing.

If you see any timezone locations for Beijing, please talk to your software
vendor about adding the locations you desire, as Beijing is not in the tzdb.

Whether the locations you desire map internally to Asia/Bangkok,
Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh, or Asia/Saigon will make no difference to the time displayed
on your system.

If you need correct times prior to 1970, please consider submitting patches
referencing your research sources against the appropriate backzones, possibly
being prepared to maintain your own backzones if not accepted in tzdb.

This may be easier if you create your own fork of the experimental github repo
and test making your patches against that, building tzdb files matching your
requirements, possibly including backzones.