[tz] Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Feb 18 20:47:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 15:32, KP <khaiphan9x at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thus, Vietnam time has been different in 1945 (Saigon/HCMC does not exist)
> no longer in Indochina time.
> As mentioned, a small change can also lead to a timezone.

As has been pointed out before, we don't make new zones just because there
are differences prior to 1970.  Please read
ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/tzdb-2018i/theory.html and ensure you understand it.
Ask if there is anything there you do not understand.

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 15:32, KP <khaiphan9x at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is possible to create a time zone for Hanoi from here according to the
> historical facts I mentioned.

And that has already been done in the 'backzone' file, which can already be
installed by those who require that level of detail.  See
ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/tzdb-2018i/backzone:

# Vietnam
# From Paul Eggert (2014-10-13):
# See Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh for the source for this data.
# Trần's book says the 1954-55 transition to 07:00 in Hanoi was in
# October 1954, with exact date and time unspecified.
Zone    Asia/Hanoi      7:03:24 -       LMT     1906 Jul  1
                        7:06:30 -       PLMT    1911 May  1
                        7:00    -       +07     1942 Dec 31 23:00
                        8:00    -       +08     1945 Mar 14 23:00
                        9:00    -       +09     1945 Sep  2
                        7:00    -       +07     1947 Apr  1
                        8:00    -       +08     1954 Oct
                        7:00    -       +07

The ONLY question that remains open here is whether Asia/Hanoi should be
moved into the mainstream distribution.  As you will have seen from this
discussion, there are several reasons for and against such a proposal, and
those will require thoughtful discussion.  Further arguments will not
strengthen your case beyond that.

--
Tim Parenti