[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links (was: Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam)

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Feb 19 19:35:08 UTC 2019

On Tue 2019-02-19T20:14:14+0100 Hans-Joerg Happel hath writ:
> Disclosure: I am involved in CalConnect's efforts to advise governments
> and practitioners on how to tackle time zone issues. Therefore I am
> trying to get a better understanding of how things work and appreciate
> your feedback, even if it might slightly go beyond the scope of pure
> tzdb maintenance.

Communicating the scope and aim is much effort.

The scope of IANA tzdb is, in short, to provide a way for POSIX-like
systems to convert between internal system clock time_t values and
local civil time in a way where a single choice is valid for all
history since 1970.  This is reasonably well documented.

The scopes of CLDR and the ICU, IATA SSIM, Microsoft Windows, Apple,
Android, the CalConnect ISO effort, etc.  are not so clearly
documented.  It is clear that they do not try to solve the same
problems, and not clear how they set the boundaries of their scope.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855