[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links (was: Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam)

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:25:26 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-19 21:22, Tim Parenti wrote:

> Frankly, it seems it was because when Asia/Hanoi was added to backzone (in
> 2014, not "five years later" as you write), the opportunity was taken then
> and there to change/redefine the rules to avoid scope creep.  Which is all
> well and good from a project maintenance standpoint, though I can totally
> see why that can seem unfair from a human standpoint.

    So, before the inclusion of backzone/Asia/Hanoi on 2014-10-22,
    a little "scope creep" was still allowed on 2013-09-20 for
    America/Curacao (which agrees with America/Port_of_Spain
    since 1970) but not for America/Aruba (which also does)?

    I understand that tzdb is a non-commercial project -- but
    this is just one more reason to establish simple and stable
    guidelines that are easily understood, rather than to hunt
    for elusive goals.

    Michael Deckers.