[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links (was: Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam)

Hans-Joerg Happel happel at audriga.com
Wed Feb 20 16:37:10 UTC 2019

On 19.02.19 20:59, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2/19/19 11:14 AM, Hans-Joerg Happel wrote:
>>
>> I'd perhaps first suggest to talk about "Identifiers of timezones"
>> instead of "Names of timezones".
>>
> We can emphasize the "identifier" stuff a bit more, as in the attached
> proposed patch. I'm leery of globally replacing "name" with
> "identifier" though, as "name" is shorter and makes the text easier to
> follow.
>
>> A second suggestion would be a short note that it is these
>> identifiers which would be typically stored in database / system
>> configuration / appointment in order to denote the time zone of a
>> "thing" and that software will typically pick up the additional rule
>> data in tzdb in order to compute meaningful things based on these
>> identifiers. This is sort of implicit to the given text, but might be
>> pointed out more explicitly.
>
> While this may be common practice, I'm not sure we should recommend it
> as it's fragile in the presence of timezone splits. The proposed patch
> attempts to add a warning along these lines.

Thanks, both changes look good to me.

Minor note: one might also want to align the URL label in the first
bullet of https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#stability

Best,
Hans-Joerg

--
audriga GmbH
Durlacher Allee 47

www.twitter.com/audriga <http://www.twitter.com/audriga>
www.audriga.com <http://www.audriga.com/>

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim - HRB 713034
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Frank Dengler, Dr. Hans-Jörg Happel
USt-ID: DE 279724142