[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links (was: Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam)

Hans-Joerg Happel happel at audriga.com
Wed Feb 20 17:21:18 UTC 2019

I did a short check on the ISO 3166-1-rule compliance of the current
release.

It seems that most cases, in which zone1970.tab lists multiple countries
on the left hand side (tied to one timezone id), there do exist
corresponding "Link" entries.

The "VN" in "TH,KH,LA,VN" is the only case I found so far, in which
there is no "Link" backing this with a separate identifier (I know the
HCM/Hanoi case is special; this is just an observation).

Example:

[zone1970.tab]
CZ,SK	+5005+01426	Europe/Prague

[europe]
# Slovakia
Link Europe/Prague Europe/Bratislava

Is anybody aware of how upstream software based on tzdb is typically
dealing with "Links"? It seems, Java does list time zone ids stemming
from "links", while "tzselect" on my Ubuntu machine does not seem to use
them - at least not in the interactive configuration [1]

(Side note: the "Link" syntax does not seem to be explained yet in
https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-how-to.html)

Further observations:

The "zone.tab" file actually uses the "Link" aliases, while
"zone1970.tab" does not:

[zone.tab]
CZ	+5005+01426	Europe/Prague
SK	+4809+01707	Europe/Bratislava

vs.

[zone1970.tab]
CZ,SK	+5005+01426	Europe/Prague

...so one will yield different results depending on which .tab file an
application uses.

Also, "zone.tab" only offers "Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh" for VN (missing out
"Asia/Bangkok", which I guess according to tzdb guidelines should be
there?):

VN	+1045+10640	Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh

(not sure if the latter was already covered in the Hanoi thread)

Best,
Hans-Joerg

[1] tzselect output on Ubuntu after choosing the respective country:

The following information has been given:
    Slovenia
Therefore TZ='Europe/Belgrade' will be used.

The following information has been given:
    Oman
Therefore TZ='Asia/Dubai' will be used.

The following information has been given:
    Cambodia
    Indochina (most areas)
Therefore TZ='Asia/Bangkok' will be used.