[tz] possible error or new zone?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Feb 25 08:42:16 UTC 2019

Steven Abner wrote:
>   please check out Asia/Dushanbe zone, either a typo or strange new zone? DST/+05/+06.

"New" relative to what? The data entries for Asia/Dushanbe itself haven't
changed since 2016-08-21.

Also, the file you sent is not part of the distribution. I don't know its
format, or why it indicates that Dushanbe is unusual.

If it helps, to2050.tzs (which you can generate by downloading the tzdb
distribution) says the following about Dushanbe's time history, in 'zdump -i'
format:

TZ="Asia/Dushanbe"
-	-	+043512	LMT
1924-05-02	00:24:48	+05
1930-06-21	01	+06
1981-04-01	01	+07		1
1981-09-30	23	+06
1982-04-01	01	+07		1
1982-09-30	23	+06
1983-04-01	01	+07		1
1983-09-30	23	+06
1984-04-01	01	+07		1
1984-09-30	02	+06
1985-03-31	03	+07		1
1985-09-29	02	+06
1986-03-30	03	+07		1
1986-09-28	02	+06
1987-03-29	03	+07		1
1987-09-27	02	+06
1988-03-27	03	+07		1
1988-09-25	02	+06
1989-03-26	03	+07		1
1989-09-24	02	+06
1990-03-25	03	+07		1
1990-09-30	02	+06
1991-03-31	02	+06		1
1991-09-09	02	+05

Perhaps the program you used to generate your file was flummoxed by the
1991-03-31 transition. It is an unusual transition, as it's a simultaneous
switch of standard-time offset and DST flag, such that wall clock time didn't
change. But this is a valid transition.