[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Feb 26 09:53:02 UTC 2019

Guy Harris wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2019, at 12:50 AM, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:
>
>> While "Europa/Makedonien" is shown in KDE, "Europe/Macedonia" comes from
>> tzselect:
>
> That's "Macedonia" as an item in tzselect, under the continent of Europe, in the tzselect script (rather than "Europe/Macedonia" as a string).
>
> That means it comes from the iso3166.tab file (which now says "North Macedonia").
>
> For which of the languages with entries in ISO 639 are you suggesting that the tzdb maintainers supply translations of that file?

There are no specific cases.

I just saw that the time zone and time zone name handling in different
user interfaces is sometimes very different, and if you select a
specific setting on different systems you can't even be sure that you
get the same results, e.g. regarding DST settings.

So I thought this might be a way to make the handling more consistent
and less confusing for users with even less experience with tzdb than I
have myself. ;-)

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy