[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Feb 26 17:43:27 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-02-26 at 01:05 -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> Any UI developer who chooses to do that should be banned from doing
> any UI development without adult supervision.
>
> Or, at least, banned from doing any tzdb region selection UI code
> before seeing both macOS's tzdb region selector and Ubuntu 18.04's
> tzdb region selector (Ubuntu, not Kubuntu) to see what *can* and
> *should* be done.

Yes, they are very nice and a worthy model to follow. However, in the
IoT world one often lacks the resources on the target platform for
including such things.

Another of the reasons one sees the tzdb identifiers show up in UIs with the frequency that they do (aside from programmer
laziness) is that they are actually quite intuitive. I've yet to have a user need to ask me about how to set a timezone; once they see the dropdown, it's obvious how it works in 99.5% of use cases. While this can and does get nationalists of various stripes worked up on occasion (as evidenced here on a regular basis), it's still a perfectly viable tradeoff that can work very well indeed in resource-poor environments.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|                   When in doubt, use brute force.                   |
|                                                   -- Ken Thompson   |