[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Feb 26 17:54:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-02-26 at 01:48 -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> All they want is that the clock face on their smartwatch/clock on
> their smartphone/clock in the bar at the top or bottom of their
> screen display the correct current date and time, that their file
> manager report the correct creation/modification date and time for
> files, etc..

Not always!

For example, we make an embedded IoT product that allows up to six
date/time displays to be shown simultaneously, each configurable to use
a different time zone. In that particular use case, the 'determine my
time zone automatically' method is not only irrelevant, but can be
positively harmful.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
| It's always good to take an orthogonal view of things. It develops  |
| ideas.                                                              |
|                                                   -- Ken Thompson   |