[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Feb 28 10:22:38 UTC 2019

Guy Harris wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2019, at 10:17 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
>
>> Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> And I'm not even convinced that users want to care about tzdb regions;
>>> those regions don't completely correspond to, for example, what people
>>> call "time zones" in the US, so "Mountain time" or "Mountain time zone"
>>> doesn't correspond to the America/Denver tzdb region - Arizona is in the
>>> "Mountain" time zone, but it hasn't done standard/summar time switching
>>> since 1968, unlike other parts of that time zone.
>>>
>>> What I suspect users want is to have clock time work appropriately for
>>> their location; if doing so doesn't involve knowing or caring about the
>>> details of the tzdb, so much the better.
>>
>> Up to a point...
>>
>> A common cause of significant confusion is when people are trying to
>> organize meetings between people in multiple time zones. I think the
>> confusion is due to poor calendaring data models which make it difficult
>> to provide a user interface that illustrates what is going on.

> None of which appears to require that the *end users* - including the meeting organizer(s) - know or care about the details of the tzdb.  They may need to know that scheduling the meeting for thus-and-such a time in London means scheduling it for 03:00 at some other location, so, if they schedule for that time, somebody's going to have to wake up early or go to sleep late, but that's what the software would do.

Anyway, it would be a nice feature to let the user see what was
automatically selected, and if this is plausible.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy