[tz] How long will the rearguard formats continue be provided?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 24 02:32:24 UTC 2019

On 1/23/19 2:40 PM, Pramoth Murali wrote:

> how long will these rearguard versions (with no negative offsets)
> continue to be provided?

There is no definite schedule for that, just as there is no definite
schedule for anything associated with tzdb. It's a volunteer effort,
after all.

That being said, you needn't retrieve a rearguard-format tarball to get
rearguard-format data. You can instead use the ordinary tarball, which
comes bundled with software that will generate rearguard format upon
request. Even if I stop my informal distribution of a rearguard-format
tarball, you can still generate rearguard-format data from the standard
distribution by running the command 'make rearguard.zi'.

I also suggest boosting the priority of updating your custom version of
tzcode so that it works the way ordinary tzcode works. tzcode's zic has
supported negative offsets for decades, and it's time to catch up.