[tz] DST ends 2040 in Oracle database

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Jan 29 22:07:10 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 15:28, Paul Ganssle <paul at ganssle.io> wrote:

> One thing that could help with this problem and that *might* be scoped
> well for this project to do, though, would be to ship a machine-readable
> data structure that indicates something about the history of time zone
> boundaries.

Boundaries and specific geometries, no.  There are all sorts of problems
with trying to undertake such an endeavor, which have been well-discussed
and largely boil down to territorial disputes.  There are others who make
reasonable attempts, but that's been pretty explicitly regarded as out of
tz's scope for some time and is mostly why we limit ourselves to listing
"representative" location names.

> Having a way to programmatically detect when these ambiguities arise might
> help things.

That said, all you *really* need is to effectively say something like
"Asia/Qostanay was forked off of Asia/Qyzylorda in tzdata 2018h", so one
would know, if one was using Asia/Qyzylorda prior to taking version 2018h
or later, that one should manually review one's data.  This is probably a
good idea, and fits the scope of the existing project a bit better, and
there's no need to contend with actual political boundaries.

The main problem there is that no one's really been keeping that sort of
metadata thusfar.

--
Tim Parenti