[tz] Backzone entry for Europe/Vaduz

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Thu Jul 4 14:11:22 UTC 2019

In the year 2013 I had contributed information that Swiss neighbor
country Liechtenstein, represented by Europe/Vaduz in file backzone, did
not have daylight saving time in 1941 and 1942, while Switzerland,
represented by Europe/Zurich, did have it.

A colleague sent me a follow-up question today, which cause me to
reconsider the question.

I was able to access the online archive of the Vaduz paper Vaterland for
free - they offer a special summer deal.

I could confirm frm the paper that Liechtenstein did in fact follow the
same DST in 1941 and 1942 as Switzerland did.

The entry Europe/Vaduz in the file backzone can be removed, so that the
link Europe/Zurich Europe/Vaduz remains effective even for those who,
like me, compile TZ with backzone included.

I attach a few newspaper clippings, not translated.