[tz] [Tzdist-bis] [calsify] tzdist and IANA

Matt Johnson mj1856 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 16:51:25 UTC 2019

AFAIK, tzdist isn't about setting the active time zone across computers.  It's about making sure those computers have reliable time zone data.

In Windows, tzutil.exe can list the time zones available, and can set the active time zone.  There are also other ways to set the active time zone across computers.  For example, if they are in a domain you can use group policy to update registry settings.  You could also use Set-TimeZone in powershell. See:  https://dennisspan.com/configuring-the-time-zone-and-code-page-with-group-policy

In Windows, time zone data updates (including Microsoft and IANA time zone data) are handled through Windows Update.  On Linux, IANA data is typically pushed out via a "tzdata" package.  The benefit of a tzdist-like system would simply be that time zone updates could be pushed out more rapidly than these other update processes typically take.  In other words, it is simply an out-of-band, purpose-built update process.  Such a process would be helpful when governments do not allow enough lead time for updates to get created and distributed, such as described in my blog post: https://codeofmatt.com/on-the-timing-of-time-zone-changes<https://codeofmatt.com/on-the-timing-of-time-zone-changes/>

-Matt