[tz] Java & Rearguard

Sat Jun 1 04:59:13 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-31 21:00, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Brian Inglis wrote:
>> For the current period of Ramadan where some time zones vary, what should the
>> label be now: the equivalent of Location Ramadan Time, and should the preceding
>> or following period label be Location Summer Time?
>
> That naming convention would not hold up, I'm afraid. Although Ramadan occurs
> during northern-hemisphere summer this year, the Islamic calendar is lunar and
> does not stay in sync with the Gregorian calendar, and by 2026 Ramadan will be
> occurring during northern-hemisphere winter.
>
> We don't have to worry about inventing a naming convention for this in tzdb, as
> it is using the labels +01 and +00 for time in Morocco.

The query is what does the (CLDR/ICU) label apply to: the offset or the time
period?

The label would seem to apply to the period of Location Summer Time, Location
Winter Time, Location Daylight Saving Time, Location Standard Time, rather than
denoting the time zone offset.

So what then should you label the extra periods: use the same labels as the
previous uses of the same offsets, or give the extra periods their own unique
labels, and what should those unique labels indicate?