[tz] Java & Rearguard

Steven R. Loomis srl at icu-project.org
Tue Jun 4 00:23:59 UTC 2019

Paul,
CLDR keys off either tzdb ids ( example: Indiana/Marengo https://unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/by_type/timezones.north_america.html#56d801000f7f09e9 <https://unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/by_type/timezones.north_america.html#56d801000f7f09e9> ) or “metazones”, see https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#Metazone_Names <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-dates.html#Metazone_Names>

The metazones are groupings used for translation (formatting) of dates only, not for time calculation.

In this specific example, the metazone “Africa_Western”  encompasses Africa/Brazzaville, Africa/Bangui, and others.

                        <timezone type="Africa/Windhoek">
                                <usesMetazone to="1990-03-20 22:00" mzone="Africa_Southern"/>
                                <usesMetazone to="1994-03-20 22:00" from="1990-03-20 22:00" mzone="Africa_Central"/>
                                <usesMetazone to="2017-10-23 22:00" from="1994-03-20 22:00" mzone="Africa_Western"/>
                                <usesMetazone from="2017-10-23 22:00" mzone="Africa_Central"/>
                        </timezone>

--
Steven R. Loomis | @srl295 | git.io/srl295