[tz] Java & Rearguard

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 5 02:47:25 UTC 2019

Guy wrote:
> BTW, what happens on a system that *does* have them if you:
>	call localtime()/localtime_r();
>	set the TZ environment variable in your program to a new value and call tzset();
>	try to use the tm_zone string from the previous localtime()/localtime_r() call?

Yeah.  Tons o' fun.

You've reminded me that I meant to mention this paper by
Eric Raymond:

	http://www.catb.org/esr/time-programming/

It covers these sorts of issues (surprising potential side
effects of calling tzset(), etc.), and much of the same history
we've been discussing here.  (Regular readers of this list are
probably familiar with most/all of the material already.)
Paul, this might be worth adding to tz-link.html.