[tz] Oregon to join remainder of US West Coast with permanent DST?

Mon Jun 10 16:57:09 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-10 10:08, Steve Allen wrote:
> On Mon 2019-06-10T11:59:38-0400 Tim Parenti hath writ:
>> Indeed, I could envision something like "Pacific Coast Time" being
>> legislated for the coastal states, as distinct from the existing PST/PDT
>> for the inland regions, assuming they don't join in.
>
> If legislation is to happen it may affect other portions of
> 15 U.S. Code Subchapter IX
>
> Can TZ list produce text that would serve as guidance to help
> legislators avoid ambiguous or incomplete specification?

I would think most important is not to word it as "permanent DST" even if that
is how they market it, but a change in standard time to the MT zone to the east.
Why anyone would want that, given research results about DST effects, seems less
than sensible.
US W coast is W of 120W, about 8:15-20 for a lot of it, so should just drop DST.

I'm in an MT zone, but the Canadian Rockies are further west than the US chain,
close to 120W, so we should move to PST year round, and the more westerly and
northerly regions N of Vancouver Island should move to -9 as they are nearer 135W.