[tz] Java & Rearguard

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 12 17:58:35 UTC 2019

On Jun 12, 2019, at 9:01 AM, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:

> On 2019-06-11 19:50, Guy Harris wrote:
>>> That's what the part of the world that turns their clocks forward in
>>> spring and summer calls summer time.
>> Or that's what the part of the world that turns their clocks forward in
>> spring and summer, with the exception of the US and (English-speaking?)
>> Canada, calls "summer time".
>
> Indeed; in French speaking North America, it's l'heure normale/avancée du
> Pacifique/des Rocheuses/du Centre/de l'Est/de l'Atlantique/de Terre-Neuve
> (HN/AP/R/C/E/A/T).
> I imagine there are similar terms in Spanish for Mexico etc.

"Horario de verano", it appears, for Mexico:

	http://www.diputados.gob.mx/bibliot/publica/inveyana/polisoc/horver/capitulo1.htm

so Mexico appear to be part of "the rest of the world" - "summer time", not "daylight saving time" or "advanced time" or....

> and Portuguese for Brazil

"Horário de verão", it appears, for Brazil:

	http://www.brasil.gov.br/noticias/infraestrutura/2018/10/horario-de-verao-comeca-dia-4-de-novembro-em-10-estados-e-no-df

so Brazil also goes with "summer time".

I haven't checked the rest of South America, or checked Central America, but I suspect the US and Canada are the odd ones in the Western Hemisphere.