[tz] Petition to abolish local time in Sommarøy, Norway

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 15 08:15:20 UTC 2019

On Thursday, Kjell Ove Hveding, who lives in Sommarøy, Norway (latitude 70°N,
population 321), formally petitioned his parliamentarian to abolish civil time
in the town. Assuming this becomes law and common practice (which does not
appear likely), I suppose we'd need to create a new entry for the region of
Norway that switches to having no civil time whatsoever. (The tzdb convention
for this is UTC with the abbreviation "-00".)

The Gizmodo story about this quotes Hveding as saying:

"You have to go to work, and even after work, the clock takes up your time. I
have to do this, I have to do that. My experience is that [people] have
forgotten how to be impulsive, to decide that the weather is good, the Sun is
shining, I can just live."

See:

Mandelbaum RF. A Norwegian city wants to abolish time. Gizmodo. 2019-06-14 16:55
-04. https://gizmodo.com/a-norwegian-city-wants-to-get-rid-of-clocks-1835526377