[tz] Petition to abolish local time in Sommarøy, Norway

Sat Jun 15 14:37:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-15 05:05, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2019-06-15 16:15:20 (+0800), Paul Eggert wrote:
>> On Thursday, Kjell Ove Hveding, who lives in Sommarøy, Norway (latitude 70°N,
>> population 321), formally petitioned his parliamentarian to abolish civil time
>> in the town. Assuming this becomes law and common practice (which does not
>> appear likely), I suppose we'd need to create a new entry for the region of
>> Norway that switches to having no civil time whatsoever. (The tzdb convention
>> for this is UTC with the abbreviation "-00".)
> Wouldn't LMT be more appropriate in this (unlikely) situation?
> Though at that latitude ... umm. :)

Summer/Daylight Saving seems pretty irrelevant above about 50N, as you get
plenty of morning and evening daylight, once you're past the spring equinox, and
the cloudy weather stops.
Imagine further N of 60 time of day is less relevant, except during transition
near the equinoxes, as you have either almost continual daylight or dark.
Never spent enough time south of 50N to notice if daylight saving makes much
difference.