[tz] [PROPOSED] Rename internal identifiers to match RFC 8536

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 17 17:14:36 UTC 2019

On 6/16/19 1:34 PM, Michael H Deckers via tz wrote:
> If the "GMTOFF"
>     field is going to be renamed then the new name
>     should differ from names of (related but) different
>     entities; 'STDOFF' would be a better choice in my
>     opinion.

Thanks, good point. I mistakenly thought that the RFC 8536 terminology
applied to that column of the zic input files, which specifies the
difference between standard time and UT. It does not; it applies only to
the entries in the TZif binary files, which contain the difference
between local time and UT (a different thing).

The attached proposed patch uses the STDOFF terminology that you
suggested, and should help avoid this confusion. It also adjusts some
internal identifiers to agree with the SAVED terminology used in the
documentation, where SAVED is the difference between DST and standard time.