[tz] Java & Rearguard

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jun 4 06:54:10 UTC 2019

Brandon Smith wrote:

> I would say we are at a
> minimum of a year out still to get this fully adapted.

You should be OK then, as there are no plans to remove "make rearguard_tarballs"
and I doubt whether it'll go away that quickly. Still, this shouldn't be an
excuse for delaying for a year....

> Maybe I'm just missing it but as far as I can tell Europe/Kiev is
> implemented as a positive offset still such that the Summer Time (i.e.
> +03) would still have DST on and the DST off period would be +02.

Not for the 1941 transition I'm talking about. In that transition, Kiev
simultaneously (1) changed its STD-UTC offset from +03 to +01, and (2) changed
from standard time to daylight-saving time with the usual 1-hour saving. The
combined effect of the two simultaneous changes was to (1) switch Kiev's UTC
offset from +03 to +02, and (2) change its tm_isdst flag from zero to positive.
This transition has the properties you mentioned as possibly being problematic
for your software, as it has ambiguous timestamps just before a transition from
non-DST to DST.

> This is the use case we are used to.  This would align to a statement
> made when Ireland rules were first introduced suggesting this was the
> first implementation of negative offsets in tzdata
> (https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-January/025876.html).

That email was talking about something different: a negative SAVE value in a
Rule line. That's a different way to cause the kind of transition that you
mentioned might cause a problem for your software.