[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Mar 1 08:28:51 UTC 2019

Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On 2019-02-28, at 10:29:35, Martin Burnicki wrote:
>>
>> For example, I've visited the Canary Islands located in the Atlantic, in
>> zone UTC+0, but these islands belong to Spain which is located in the
>> zone UTC+1, so my handheld selected UTC+1 automatically, and I had to
>> correct it manually to UTC+0 to have the real local time.
>>
> (I didn't go there.)
>
> On my antiquated MacBook, if I display the timezone map and click on
> what appears to be the correct location, it says:
>     Time Zone: GMT+00:00
>     Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, GC - Spain

Of course, with ma Linux Laptop I can do this in the same way.

However, the topic to which I replied was an automatic selection of the
time zone by a handheld, and there are at least 2 ways to find it out:

1.) via the built-in GNSS receiver which determines the geographic
position, and you need a map to see to which time zone this position belongs

2.) via the telecom network, which also seems to broadcast time zone
information.

My smartphone used the latter, and it failed since my location was on an
island in UTC+0, but politically this belongs to Spain, which is UTC+1,
so the telecom network seems to broadcast UTC+1, which is obviously
wrong since the public clocks on that island also showed the time for UTC+0.

So IMO any automatic procedure is good as long as you can override it
manually. ;-)

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy