[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Mar 1 09:07:00 UTC 2019

Guy Harris wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2019, at 2:22 AM, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, it would be a nice feature to let the user see what was
>> automatically selected, and if this is plausible.
>
> The macOS time zone selector draws a world map, showing the "time zone", in the "what you see on those time zone maps" sense, with a red pin at your location, and giving the name of your current time (e.g., Pacific Standard Time, as we're not on summer time) and of the closest city.

A map is fine as long as you see one. ;-)

If there is no map then a plausible location name would be good.

For example, I'm in Germany and usually the displayed location name is
Europe/Berlin, and (at least for current zone rules) it wouldn't make
much difference when I selected Europe/{Stockholm|Oslo|Amsterdam|Paris}.
However, folks who are not so familiar with this kind of stuff would
probably be confused if they see Stockholm instead of Berlin for their
time zone.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy