[tz] "Washington House OKs step toward year-round daylight saving"

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sun Mar 10 19:55:19 UTC 2019

Paul wrote:
> I've stopped keeping track of all the proposed US legislation
> to end daylight saving time...

I was just about to post a link to this NYT article on the same subject:

	Daylight Saving Is Here. Suppose We Made This Time Change Our Last?

	Compelled by the augustly named federal Uniform Time Act
	of 1966, most Americans will leap ahead -- or stumble
	blearily -- from one configuration of the clock to
	another this weekend, as daylight saving time clicks in
	at 2 a.m. Sunday.

	https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/09/us/daylight-savings-time.html

Nothing anyone on this list doesn't know, but well written.

Actually, the article made one point that I hadn't really
realized: while simply abandoning (or permanently adopting)
DST requires a formal amendment to that 1966 law,

	...moving to a different time zone does not require an
	act of Congress -- all it takes is an order from the
	Transportation Department, the federal agency that
	oversees time (a legacy of its duties regulating railroad
	schedules).

Thus the proposals to, for example, adopt straight Atlantic time
in New England.