[tz] [PROPOSED] zic option for including data from a certain year onward

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 11 22:29:31 UTC 2019

On 3/11/19 4:18 AM, Christopher Wong wrote:
> Is it correct that the switch between LMT to GMT is set to the specified start of the time range?

Yes. If you tell zic's new -r option to discard info for timestamps
before time T, then the first transition in the output TZif file will be
at time T. This is so that a TZif reader can determine the range of
timestamps that the TZif file covers. See Internet RFC 8536 section 5.1.

> I also tried with the time range "-r @220924800/@441763200" then I encountered ome segmentation fault error prints when I ran that. I haven't investigated any further on that.

I couldn't reproduce the problem. Can you give a recipe for reproducing
it on your end, along with your system configuration?

Here's how I tried to reproduce it, using gcc 8.3.1 20190223 (Red Hat
8.3.1-2) on Fedora 29 x86-64:

make clean
make TOPDIR=/tmp/tz CFLAGS='-fsanitize=address -g3 -O2' ZFLAGS='-r
@220924800/@441763200' install
./zdump -i Africa/Abidjan America/Los_Angeles