[tz] Error display in America/Santiago - tzdata2018i

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 19 20:35:27 UTC 2019

On 3/19/19 10:39 AM, Pedro Salas Díaz wrote:
> I found some errors in our apps, because the TZ is not showed as "CLT"
> nor "CLST".

We changed the abbreviations to -04 and -03 in release 2017a because the
alphabetic abbreviations were something we invented and didn't seem to
be used much in English. To get abbreviations in suitable for your
locale, you might look into CLDR. For more, please see:

https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html#notation

which also should help to explain why applications should not rely on
alphabetic abbreviations.