[tz] Spelling of Ukrainian cities #KyivNotKiev

Vitaliy Stavropolskiy stavvit at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:16:51 UTC 2019

Hi!

Maybe it's time to change the spelling of Ukrainian cities
<https://mfa.gov.ua/en/page/open/id/5418>?
I've found a comment in the tzdb:

> # Admittedly English-language spelling of Ukrainian names is
> # controversial, and some day "Kyiv" may become substantially more popular
> in
> # English; in the meantime, stick with the traditional English "Kiev" as
> that
> # means less disruption for our users.

I think it's the right time to change it. For example, a lot of Airports
and international media did it.
For example,The Guardian:
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1095687682582286337
https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-k
Airports in London, Toronto, Istanbul, Bucharest, etc.:
1. https://twitter.com/GamanOleksandr/status/1108371955353305095
2.
https://procol-harum.livejournal.com/1091764.html?utm_source=twsharing&utm_medium=social
3. https://www.facebook.com/UkrEmbassyDK/posts/2189053684497098
You can find a lot of other examples by using hashtag #KyivNotKiev

Here is the link to the official information from the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs of Ukraine: https://mfa.gov.ua/en/page/open/id/5418

Please, consider.

Best regards,
Vitalii Stavropolskyi