[tz] Spelling of Ukrainian cities #KyivNotKiev

Pierpaolo Bernardi olopierpa at gmail.com
Sat May 11 00:10:35 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:08 AM Vitaliy Stavropolskiy <stavvit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe Kiev is more popular for exUSSR population and the rest of the world (because the Russian language is more popular, and, as you know, 'Kiev' is a transliteration from russian 'Киев' and 'Kyiv' is the transliteration from ukrainian 'Київ'), however, as a Ukrainian, I feel irritated every time when I have to choose my timezone and see the wrong spelling (in my country we have the only one official language, it's Ukrainian and, e.g. all road signs, IDs and official documents use transliteration from Ukrainian, not from Russian).

This is not different from almost every other zone in the database. I
feel irritated every time when I have to choose my timezone and see
the wrong spelling (in my country we have the only one official
language[*], it's Italian and, e.g. all road signs, IDs and official
documents are written in Italian, not English).  Still, my time zone
is called Rome in the TZ database, instead of the correct Roma.

By the way, since we are on the subject, I suppose that in all
Ukrainian documents the name of my city is written as Рома, not Рим.
Is this correct?  if not, then please fix all those mistakes, thank
you.

(Please excuse my jokes. I understand that your irritation is
exarcebated by the currently poor relations between UA and RU, but
still you have no right to dictate how speakers of a foreign language
should call your cities. Also, as has been discussed many times in
this mailing list, time zone names are not supposed to be shown to end
users. If your user interface language is Ukrainian and you are shown
"Kiev", than that's a bug in the software you are using, not in the TZ
database).

Cheers
P.

[*] Actually we have a bunch of official languages, but English is not
one of them.