[tz] WSJ follows AP to Kyiv

John Hawkinson jhawk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 20 00:31:30 UTC 2019

Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote on Tue, 19 Nov 2019
at 17:31:07 EST in <CAH1d5rnBc_XPca0L7QStURnmnXvTcFX68jQEXraPaijMrkw9Fw at mail.gmail.com>:

> But we could clarify further, historically.  So maybe it's time to
> put something, even if just further clarifications, in theory.html,
> as this comes up and I could see it this way, as others do.

To the extent that I'm properly interpreting this, I think this would be a mistake and we should not do so at this time.

I read Bryan to be suggesting we should make rules for when a zone should be renamed in theory.html.
One thing I think is clear is that renaming does not happen very often, and that we don't have a clear understanding of the criteria, and we really don't have sufficient basis to engage in rulemaking.

If we don't even fully understand the criteria for the instant hard case (Kiev/Kyiv), then we're not in a good position to generalize the rule.

(If Bryan is suggesting something else, then I apologize).

jhawk at alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson
+1 617 797 0250

p.s.: My long message that picked up this thread gave plenty of observational statements about the NYT but not a prescriptive statement from them as to their policy. Turns out there were two (at least) of those, as well. This tweet, yesterday, https://twitter.com/AndrewKramerNYT/status/1196496095184084997 from their Moscow correspondent stating the change. And he also offered a similar comment in the NYT's livechat re this morning's House hearing, https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/19/us/politics/trump-impeachment.html.