[tz] Question about bug seen in OpenBSD and FreeBSD related to tzname

Andras Farkas deepbluemistake at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 07:19:01 UTC 2019

I've tested things, using tzdb-2019c.tar.lz and rewriting the main()
function of date.c in it to be the same as the daytime.c test program
I wrote before.
The output, both when compiling this on OpenBSD, and on FreeBSD, is
the same as what Guy Harris reported for macOS 10.14:
tzname[0]: CAT
tzname[1]:
(three spaces, for tzname[1]'s value)
This behavior seems good enough to me, and thus shows me that the bug
is not in upstream (here) but in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  Thanks for
helping me out, guys!
:D

Unrelatedly, and interestingly enough, I couldn't get things to
compile while using -DUSG_COMPAT=1 in CFLAGS, on FreeBSD.  However, I
was able to get things to compile like that on OpenBSD.  (Notably,
FreeBSD doesn't support daylight or timezone, itself, while OpenBSD
does.  This seems to indicate USG_COMPAT'd tzcode can only be compiled
on OSes already supporting those features)