[tz] timezone DB distribution

Juergen Naeckel naeckel at adobe.com
Mon Aug 17 21:07:34 UTC 2020

Hi again,
I tried to use the data provided in the timezone files.  I ran some consistency checks.  I think I found some inconsistencies.
Zone America/Barbados – has rule BARB, but none of the BARB rules is currently valid.
Zone America/Costa_Rica – has rule CR, but none of the CR rules is currently valid.Zone America/El_Salvador – has rule BARB, but none of the rules is currently valid
Zone America/Guatemala – has rule Salv, but none of the rules is currently valid
Zone America/Tegucigalpa – has rule Hond, but none of the rules is currently valid

The zone Africa/Johannesburg uses an undefined rule SA
The zone Africa/El_Aaiun uses an undefined rule Morocco
The zone Africa/Casablanca uses an undefined rule Morocco
The zone Indian/Mauritius uses an undefined rule +04/+05
The zone Pacific/Tongatapu uses an undefined rule Tonga
The zone Pacific/Rarotonga uses an undefined rule Cook
The zone Australia/Brisbane uses an undefined rule AQ
The zone Australia/Perth uses an undefined rule AW
The zone Australia/Darwin uses an undefined rule Aus
The zone America/Montevideo uses an undefined rule Uruguay
The zone America/Guayaquil uses an undefined rule Ecuador
The zone America/Cuiaba uses an undefined rule Brazil
The zone America/Campo_Grande uses an undefined rule Brazil
The zone America/Sao_Paulo uses an undefined rule Brazil
The zone America/Argentina/Tucuman uses an undefined rule Arg
The zone America/Argentina/Cordoba uses an undefined rule Arg
The zone America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires uses an undefined rule Arg

I spot checked several of those – and there is no more daylight saving for those regions.  Thus, the zone definition should contain a dash.

I noticed some more inconsistencies specific to the “asia” file.  The data separator is flexible.  Everywhere, the tab is used as a separator.  Here, the tab and the space are used interchangeably.  Also in all the other files, the “Zone” is followed by a space and then the name.  In this asia file, I noticed frequent use of tabs in between.  Do you use space and tab alike?
[cid:image001.png at 01D674B8.E58BB0B0]

Thank you,
Juergen