[tz] timezone DB distribution

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 19 04:13:40 UTC 2020

On 8/17/20 12:01 PM, Juergen Naeckel via tz wrote:

> First of all, a tar.gz is Linux specific.

Not really; the format is natively supported by lots of operating systems,
including macOS and Microsoft Windows 10.

> I definitely do not consider MAKEFILE and .awk file as part of a “data only distribution”.

This is more a problem with the labeling than with the contents. The data
distribution is intended to include not just the data, but also makefiles etc.
useful to install the data.

To avoid future confusion, it sounds like <https://www.iana.org/time-zones>
should change the phrase "Data Only Distribution" to "Data Distribution", and
likewise for "Code Only Distribution".

> I had read the readme file but it didn’t explain the data I saw in the files.

The attached patch to README should help with that; I've added that to the
development version.

I think others addressed your other questions. Thanks for your comments.