[tz] timezone DB distribution

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 17:34:57 UTC 2020

On 8/20/20 03:14, Martin Burnicki via tz wrote:

> I'd really appreciate if tzdist would be more adapted and used.
>
>> tzdist server implementations?
> I think there is at least one implementation available.
There's at least 3 - either up to date with the spec or close.

> What I'm wondering is if there are client implementations that can
> update the local TZ rules on the fly so that systems that are running
> continuously automatically start using the updated rules once they have
> become available.
>
>> Leave it to the distro or platform to do the job as quickly as any other
>> downstream org.
>>
>> Org update policies may be a bigger delaying factor than tzdb, distro, or platform.

Certainly some large organizations are unwilling (currently) to change
their update policies - treating tz data as system code or being very
slow with their updates.

If you want truly up to date tz info you often have to fetch it yourself
- which is where tzdist could be useful.