[tz] Corrupt output (was: Re: [tz-announce] 2020e release of tz code and data available

Wed Dec 23 20:13:16 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-23 12:33, Deborah Goldsmith via tz wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2020, at 11:23 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> On 12/22/20 11:06 PM, Deborah Goldsmith via tz wrote:
>>> I verified that introducing a rule to set zone to empty when encountering
>>> “End of rearguard section" fixes the problem, and does not introduce any
>>> other changes to the output.

>> Thanks for the problem report and diagnosis. I installed into the
>> development repository the attached proposed patch, which is a bit
>> fancier, as setting the zone to empty would mean we couldn't have multiple
>> sections per Zone. The attached patch also adds some code to "make
>> check_public" (which I run before distributing any release) so that similar
>> problems will be caught before future releases.
>>
>> The new "make check_public" rule won't catch all rearguard issues, just
>> simple ones like the one you ran into. I don't test the rearguard as much
>> as the main data, and even if I did more tests I undoubtedly would miss
>> things that you'd catch with your tests within Apple. Is there some way
>> you could create a buildbot at Apple that tracks the development repository
>> and periodically runs Apple's tests on it? The problem you ran into was due
>> to a commit dated December 10, and if Apple ran their checks every now and
>> then we would have caught this problem before 2020e came out.
>>
>> At any rate it looks like we'll need a 2020f soon, assuming the attached
>> patch works for you.
>> <0001-Fix-rearguard.zi-corruption-in-2020e.patch>

Confirm patch fixes the issue on Debian and Cygwin.

> Thanks for the fix! I am trying to pull from your GitHub repository, but
> it’s not showing anything new since 2020e. I looked on GitHub.com and no
> commits show past the 2020e tag. I can apply the patch manually, of course,
> but it sounds like you’d committed it?
Probably waiting for feedback on patch before pushing to remote public repo.

> I will talk to our CI folks and see if I can get something set up along the
> lines you suggest. Right now I have to make manual changes to the tarballs
> because our zic is not up to date, and I need to add yearistype.sh back in in
> order for everything to build. I’ll try to automate that, too. I’m also
> trying to get our zic updated.

Often easier to install your distro package upgrade download, build, test
scripts and tools, tweak and run them locally, unless they require megs of
corporate build infrastructure.