[tz] zic bug: Wall-clock ordering of transition times

Brian Park brian at xparks.net
Thu Dec 31 19:22:18 UTC 2020

Got it, thanks for the clarification, it helps to have more context about
what you were thinking. I was focused on Grand_Turk, so probably simplified
my exposition too much. I think the better explanation is that the 2:00 in
the UNTIL field precisely matches the 2:00 in the AT in the US Rule, so
there is only one transition, instead of 2 transitions. Same thing seems to
happen with the 2:00s in the UNTIL for Kaliningrad, which matches the 2:00s
in the AT for the Russia Rule.

The thing that I was wondering was whether the semantics of the zone info
text files actually mandated a transition from 2:00 to 1:00 for Grand_Turk,
if the Zone entry was set to 2:00, instead of its current 3:00 value. Or
whether the special case in the zic compiler was an additional rule on top
of the normal semantics of the zone info text files, in order to parse the
Grand_Turk case properly. I managed to convince myself that the normal
rules of the text files were sufficient for Grand_Turk. And my parsing code
seems to implement those normal rules properly.