[tz] [PROPOSED 2/3] Simplify leapadd

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 15 08:24:22 UTC 2020

On 1/14/20 7:04 PM, Steve Allen wrote:
> the original draft of CCIR Recommendation 460
> allowed for leaps of "integral multiples" of one second.

Ah, I didn't know that. Still, the 1989 C standard botched this, since C89
allowed for leaps of one or two (but no more) seconds, apparently on the
mistaken assumption that that could have happened under the then-current leap
second rules. And this botch was copied into POSIX.

Although the two-leap-second botch was fixed in the C99 and POSIX-2001
standards, it was still present (though with bugs) in tzcode until the buggy
support was removed in tzcode 2017c.