[tz] Fwd: DST changes in Hungary (full historical revision)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 13 17:15:08 UTC 2020

On 6/13/20 2:08 AM, Robert Elz wrote:
> I haven't read the story in question (I don't understand a word of French,
> well, merde, maybe just one or two) but I don't see how when the clocks were
> set backwards makes any difference at all.

It's because of one specific detail of the story: that the unfortunate lifetime
began at 23:55 and ended at 24:00 old time. If the clock is not set back until
00:09:21 the next day, this particular person would not have a nominal death
time preceding nominal birth time. You're right that there would still be a
problem with a five-minute lifetime beginning at (say) 00:05:00 old time and
ending at 00:00:39 new time, but that's not what the story said.

You can see Michael's translation of the story here:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2020-June/029090.html