[tz] Maryland permanent DST?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 6 01:06:32 UTC 2020

On 3/5/20 4:12 PM, Arthur David Olson wrote:
> 1. What's the best available statement on desirable lead times?

<https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html#changes> says this:

"If your government plans to change its time zone boundaries or daylight
saving rules, inform tz at iana.org well in advance, as this will
coordinate updates to many cell phones, computers, and other devices
around the world. With less than a year's notice there is a good chance
that some computer-based clocks will operate incorrectly after the
change, due to delays in propagating updates to software and data. The
shorter the notice, the more likely clock problems will arise; see 'On
the Timing of Time Zone Changes' for examples."

> 2. In the case at hand, is changing to "on the second Sunday of March in
> the year after the change" sufficient?

Most likely. It depends on whether the federal change gives us enough
notice. Last time it did, and I'd expect the same this time.