[tz] suggestion: split "backward" into "backward" and "deprecated"

Andrew Gierth andrew at tao11.riddles.org.uk
Tue May 5 03:06:04 UTC 2020

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> writes:

 Paul> Getting back to the main point, I'm not sure it's worth
 Paul> deprecating links like 'US/Pacific' any time soon, as so many
 Paul> people use them

Are there any statistics on that?

The US/* names are one thing, but what about the nonsense like "W-SU"?
The random selection of places that get top-level entries for no readily
apparent reason?

If there's actual usage justification for keeping US/* specifically in
backward, or making it its own compatibility file, I have no particular
objection, but it doesn't justify not clearing up the rest of the mess.

--
Andrew.