[tz] suggestion: split "backward" into "backward" and "deprecated"

Andrew Gierth andrew at tao11.riddles.org.uk
Tue May 5 04:07:35 UTC 2020

 >>> Well, there used to be a build option for that in the base system,
 >>> but somebody just took it out...
 >>
 >> Easy enough to put back if someone yells about it.

 Paul> Might make sense to put it back in (if only for compatibility
 Paul> with older FreeBSD systems where TZ='W-SU' gave you UTC :-).

But the real point here is that we _want_ some of the backward zones -
especially the ones that users may have legitimately configured with
tzsetup (which reads zone.tab / zone1970.tab) in the past but which got
renamed (as in the recent example of America/Godthab).

The problem right now is that there isn't a way to conveniently
distinguish those zones from the ones that just get in the way and cause
confusion. This is why my proposal retains in the "backward" file every
zone that has ever been in zone.tab.

--
Andrew.