[tz] zdump --version reports "unknown" on OpenSuse 15.1 [2020a]

Mon May 25 13:14:19 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-25 03:22, mcalabkova wrote:
> On 2020-05-24 19:19, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> On 5/24/20 4:38 AM, listclient at hayo.de wrote:
>>> sudo zdump --version
>>> zdump (tzcode) unknown
>>>
>>> Installed package:
>>> timezone - Time Zone Descriptions
>>>
>>> Is this a defect of the OpenSuse package or of the IANA code distribution?
>>
>> If you aren't sure, then the answer is "OpenSuse". :-)
>
> indeed :) I found out we were re-making a 'version' file (because of patches)
>

>> I suggest filing a bug report with the OpenSuse folks. For what it's worth, on
>> Ubuntu 18.04.4 'zdump --version' outputs "zdump (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.27-3ubuntu1)
>> 2.27" and on Fedora 31 it outputs "zdump (GNU libc) 2.30".
>
> after fixing the issue above on my computer I get:
>
> $ sudo zdump --version
> zdump (tzcode) 2020a
>
> This is different from other distros. Is there any other bug in openSUSE? It
> looks like the other distros take version info from the last used compiler...
> Is this correct?

A number of distros do not use tzcode directly, but have their own release,
based on their libc TZ and locale handling, applying patches based on tzcode
patches, or based on BSD to allow use and inclusion in commercial or proprietary
products, often RT or embedded systems for microcontrollers, with tailored
support for data, functionality, size.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]